Hurricanes & Zip Codes

Blogging about anything and everything that's on my mind.

Name:
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, United States

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Today show in Florence, athletes arriving in Torino

I'm getting excited. The Today Show was in Florence today, looking at art, the Medici's & gold jewelry. They're doing reports from Sestriere, the site of the Alpine events, which is 64 miles (or ~103 KM's) from Torino. It's right on the French border & very close to Albertville (1992), Grenoble (1968) and Chamonix (1924).

Atlanta was under a "Black Ice" warning until 10 this morning...I didn't see any coming in to work, but the streets were wet. Another chance for snow on Wednesday night...let's hope this threat turns into something a little more substantial.

Finally, people keep telling me I should get a meteorology degree...Georgia Tech has a Master's program, but it requires lots of calculus, vectors & physics, all of which I'm good at, but don't like. I think I should keep my dayjob & keep weather as a hobby.

UPDATE:
1) I can't believe the audacity: I was approached by a beggar at the CVS near our house last night. He asked for $1.00, and feeling like a good samaritan, I gave it to him. I then walked in the CVS. Then on the way out, he asked for more $$, then a ride. He completely ruined it...now I'll think 2x about giving $$ to anyone if they're going to be ingrateful for getting what they asked for.

2) It looks like it'll be a bit rainy when Today starts broadcasting from Torino (1 PM Thurs ITA time, 7 AM EST). Katie & Bob Costas are doing the Openings...you can find out about that here. I especially think the part about "tidbit ping-pong". You really can learn a lot of useless trivia in the parade of Nations. Here is a picture of the Cauldron (tallest ever & big as a 20-story building). I thought the Salt Lake Cauldron was the coolest though w/its glass structure that kind of looked like the Salt Lake snowflake logo. Here is an article about Cauldrons in general.

3) So I'd never heard of James Blunt before this weekend but now I've heard his songs both in movies and his "You're Beautiful" song a whole bunch. Pretty good.

Google