Hurricanes & Zip Codes

Blogging about anything and everything that's on my mind.

Name:
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, United States

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

XX Giochi Olimpici Invernali

Trying to brush up on my [lack of] knowledge of the Italian language. Last night we watched some of the closing ceremonies of Barcelona...Maynard Jackson (now of ATL Airport fame) was handed the Olympic flag...wow...that was a long time ago.

There's a house down the street that is TOTALLY decked out for Mardi Gras. I might have talked about this before, but I didn't know until now they had bunting & gold, purple & green lights on their back porch. This is the same house that went all out for both Christmas and Halloween...you know they're going to hang eggs in the trees for Easter as well.

I'll sure be glad when this week is over. The weeks last WAY too long & the weekend is way too short.

Something I hadn't thought about in a while, or seen since High School: The BAT BRIDGE (see especially the 2nd paragragh.

Cool name of the day: Bonne Carre Spillway.

UPDATE: More thoughts:
1) For those confused about Mardi Gras: MG is a day...the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday. Carnival Season, often thought of as "Mardi Gras", lasts from January 6, Twelfth Night/Epiphany, until Mardi Gras Day. The high "season", is generally about a week before MG Day, and that's when people go to NOLA & see parades.

2) If you didn't know by now, I LOVE the Olympics...everything...from the cheesy openings by Bob Costas every night (he has to wax the poetic & show a bunch of scenic shots), to curling (I think I finally figured out the rules after the 2002 Salt Lake games), to Dick Enberg's Moments to skiing to the Italian national athem (it's pretty cool). 10 days baby!

3) Did anyone see Men with Brooms? I think I want to Netflix it.

Google