Hurricanes & Zip Codes

Blogging about anything and everything that's on my mind.

Name:
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, United States

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Back in the 404

Back from my trip to Savannah. Things went as well as could have been hoped for. Very glad to get my 1st Hearing under my belt. The couple next door kept me up though...some rednecks having fun...really disgusting...haha.

I watched most of the State of the Union Address as well as the ensuing Democrats' Counter-Speech. I thought both were very good. The problem is that the Republicans don't have all the answers, but at the same time, the Democrats just want to oppose anything W puts up. I thought Tim Kaine's "There's a Better Way" speech was excellent...both in writing & delivery, even for a Democrat. Of course, in Virginia a Democrat is really just a moderate Republican. My wife was excited b/c that was filmed @ the Governor's Mansion. The State of the Union speech though just seemed like a contest to see how many times the Republicans could give a standing ovation and how many times the Democrats could boo. It's gotten a little out of hand up there in the Beltway.

I talked to some of my Louisiana friends last night. The Tangipahoa native said that the locals are not happy about Mardi Gras, being unhappy themselves. She says that the visitors are going to come in & be happy while they're still stressed & upset (yes, she said, even NOLA locals have stress). A friend who just returned from Metairie in Jefferson Parish said that everyone is just down & everything is just a nasty shade of brown. Definitely time for the Mardi Gras decorations!!! I think that this will be NOLA's reopening, & they desparately need it, or they are in dangerous trouble of never fully recovering.

The Olympics opens a week from tomorrow!!!

UPDATE: The North is getting more winter & the South, according to Stone Mountain, GA's General Beauregard (who lives in a white-columned antebellum groundhog house) says we're getting spring. Not that we had winter except for a bit of December. Bring on the snow!!! For a more realistic account, Weather Underground says that around 2/10 we're going to get a pattern change & it's going to become more "normal". It would be too bad if we got off for snow during the Olympics, right??

Google