Hurricanes & Zip Codes

Blogging about anything and everything that's on my mind.

Name:
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, United States

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Best Olympics Since 1988?

As promised, below is the countdown...first a few random things:

1) Last night I went & hung out in the 30022 & the 30097...yep that's right Alpharetta & Duluth, Georgia. Granted A'retta is in the same county I live in, but it was 29 miles away & I had to cross county lines 5 times...For those that don't know, northern Fulton County used to be Milton County (I think the county line was the 'Hooch) back before the Depression when it merged (but now the North Fultonians are clamoring to secede again)...I think those in A'retta, Roswell, Mountain Park, etc., should have to put N. Fulton on their tags to not confuse them w/the rest of us that pay to live inside the Perimeter. In any event, it was fun...Barnacles is an ADD dream...I literally watched about 10 shows at one time. There are more TV's in there than a Circuit City.

2) I "discovered" in my car's CD player Cory Morrow's "The Man That I've Been" CD. My dad copied it for me during Christmas & I forgot it was in there. I love Texas Time Traveler and Nashville Blues:

...Well I moved back to Austin to try to make a living But it ain't been so easy with those hill country women...

3) Now for the Countdown: "worst" to best:

10) Seoul 1988 (Summer): I honestly don't remember much of it except watching Boxing in my parent's room. I do remember a bunch of controversy though w/drugs. Drink pairing: Rice wine?
9) Nagano 1998 (Winter): This was one of those time zone nightmares where I kept hearing things b/c they had happened sometimes 18 hours before they were shown on television. Also, I was a 1st year in college & pledging so I couldn't watch the entire time I wanted to. Drink pairing: Saki
8) Athens 2004 (Summer): I was getting married during these games, & for one week I was on my honeymoon in California...they show some stuff there live and some 3 hours tape delayed so it was tricky. The water & the rings of fire (burn burn burn...haha) were really cool in the Opening Ceremonies though. Drink pairing: Orzo (sp?)
7) Barcelona 1992 (Summer): I think of these as the "Janet Evans" Olympics. The archer lighting the torch was really cool, and I was one of the few that liked Izzy when he was presented in the Atlanta portion of the Openings. Drink pairing: Sangria
6) Sydney 2000 (Summer): I love everything Australian and those folks know how to do a fun Olympics. We were living across from the frat house at the time so I had to go there to watch some channels. The accents were cool. Drink pairing: Fosters (Australian for beer)
5) Calgary 1988 (Winter): These were the first Olympics I remember. Not much about it except for the Saddledome and how I got hooked from there on. Eh? Drink pairing: Molsons
4) Albertville 1992 (Winter): I many people (including me) don't really like the French, but they know how to do an Olympics. Remember the bubble-people introducing the countries and the rhymes (i.e. Over the hills they cover the miles, the team from the Dutch West Indian Isles)? Drink pairing: Merlot
3) Lillehammer 1994 (Winter): This was probably the best organized Olympics, & they have cool names for everything. The Olympic Late Night w/Pat O'Brien was cool b/c it gave a good taste of the nightlife & just goofing around. CBS did a great job on the Olympics & I want to go to Norway. (Plus remember the Ice Block Medal Stands?) Drink pairing: Hot toddy
2) Salt Lake City 2002 (Winter): This may be biased, but I've been there (including 2 weeks before the Games) & was excited to see them host an Olympics. I watched about every minute of these games. The Roots berets, the Skating Pairs Controversy and the Medals Stand. Drink pairing: Jello shots (Utah consumes more Jello per capita than any other city)
1) Atlanta 1996 (Summer): Another controversial choice, but Atlanta did great w/what they had, plus I've now seen about all the venues. I loved the Intro, when NBC panned over the trees & eventually panned up to show the Skyline. Also the Openings detailing the history of the South, and the rousing rendition of Georgia on My Mind was cool. Drink pairing: Mint juleps (although that's more a Kentucky drink, I know).

UPDATE: If anyone could help me on the following issues, I'd appreciate:
1) I'm currently in the market for exterior shutters. I've gotten bids ranging from $350 to $2500 for raised paneled shutters ranging in materials from plastic to foam to acrylic to wood. Anyone have any ideas?
2) I also have a brick planter, built by a previous owner, that is right against our Hardi-Plank siding. I was going to get a waterproof moisture barrier to put between the wall and the siding to keep the water (and some dirt) from seeping between the planter and the inside of the garage. Will this work?

Google