Hurricanes & Zip Codes

Blogging about anything and everything that's on my mind.

Name:
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, United States

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Hail Ye Festival Day

Better late than never, right?

Easter was great. My wife's parents & brother, and my sister, and our friends came for a huge Easter Feast after church at St. Phil on the Hill. Of course, after eating at 3 in the afternoon you're basically useless for the rest of the day.

I got the annuals yesterday...I got begonias for the beds & the front pots, variegated vinca for the taller pots to add some stuff to hang down, impatiens for the patio, which gets all afternoon shade, & a coconut-lined pot with geraniums & some other stuff for the bracket next to the garage door. I ran out of dirt & mulch so I'll have to do the back pots tonight. They were 4" pots, so I couldn't get that many but I hope they grow together...some Osmocote will do the trick!

Today is the 100th Anniversary of the Great San Francisco earthquake...the only thing remotely akin to Hurricane Katrina/New Orleans. Surprisingly the San Francisco Chronicle does not have much about it, but the other news networks are covering it because it's sensationalist.

The Louisiana legislature is considering a bill to evacuate pets during the storm. Many people died b/c they refused to be separated from their pets...after they'd lost everything else their dog or cat was the only they they had left. There is no money to pay for this however b/c FEMA doesn't reimburse for these sorts of things. I'd never cared about this stuff until we got our dog...that's why we only have one...if we had to leave, he could just hop in the car.

Jorma Duran, one of the newest reports from the Weather Channel, got arrested yesterday for trespassing after reporting on Tornadoes in Tennessee...apparently they'd been asked to leave but said the Sheriff had given them permission...oops.

Google