Hurricanes & Zip Codes

Blogging about anything and everything that's on my mind.

Name:
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, United States

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Countdowns

Well, it's a little over a week until Thunder over Louisville, which starts the Derby Festival...two weeks of fun stuff leading up to the Kentucky Derby. It looks like we may have a cookout to go to on Derby day which would be very fun (it's also the weekend where I usually do my annual waxing of my car).

Also, in a month we'll be in Charlottesville at a wedding. Unfortunately we can't go to Foxfields b/c we can't afford any more plane tickets, but we're thinking this summer of going to a) the Hamptons, b) Quebec, Canada (for a marathon in August), or c) somewhere else fun.

Finally, my wife's family and my sister are coming in for this Easter weekend. I just got some of the stuff in the yard spiffed up so I don't have to do it this weekend. I do have to cut the grass again, but I think I'll be able to get out of work early to do so. Speaking of the yard, even the rent-a-cop we have says my yard looks good...hell yeah!

Also FEMA released flood maps today...essentially they just use the old 1984 flood maps & add +3 to the base elevation needed. That means you have to either raise your house 3+ or up to see level, whichever is higher. This is only for houses that are 50%+ damaged however, & the rest are grandfathered in. Basically this most likely means no more slab on grade houses, esp. in NOLA East, which is very prone to flooding.

Google