Hurricanes & Zip Codes

Blogging about anything and everything that's on my mind.

Name:
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, United States

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

HAPPY MARDI GRAS!!!

It's officially Mardi Gras Day. Rex was announced yesterday: he is Mr. McIlhenny, the Tabasco Tycoon. Mayor Nagin gave over the control of the city to him today, & he decreed no work should be done & happiness should reign. Why am I here?

CNN & NBC are doing fairly well. Some slip ups though: When someone says "Happy Mardi Gras", you're supposed to say "Happy Mardi Gras" back. Also, the krewe of Comus is COMB-us, not Co-moo. I'm not from there & I don't claim to be an expert, but if I could know that, they probably could've spent a little extra $$ on research to do it right.

I'll have more update through the day if it warrants. It's supposed to be a beautiful day here in Atlanta and down in New Orleans...I'll look at it through my office window.

UPDATE: I found out today while watching CNN during lunch that the Rex parade was started during Reconstruction by a bunch of NOLA businessmen to drum up tourism for the city after the Civil War. Therefore it seems somewhat appropriate that Rex rolled again this year, partly in an attempt to drum up tourism business after Katrina. NOLA will make approximately $200 million this Mardi Gras (as compared with $ 1 billion normally). It's been a good catalyst as well to get businesses opened up, etc.

Google