Hurricanes & Zip Codes

Blogging about anything and everything that's on my mind.

Name:
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, United States

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Water water everywhere, but not a drop to sprinkle our lawns with

It did rain yesterday in Fulton County/City of Atlanta, and we even got a Severe Thunderstorm Warning. However, the rain was selective, and almost nothing fell over my neighborhood in Northwest (City of) Atlanta. Our lawn is as parched as ever, however I still mowed it yesterday. I'd rather have a dry, manicured lawn, than a kinda-green one that is raggedy.

Three Counties and one city: Tift (S Ga.), Heard, Haralson (both W. Ga.) and the City of Eatonton (Putnam Co., Central Ga.) have all banned all outdoor watering. The City of Atlanta, realizing that EVERYONE is watering on the weekends now, has changed Piedmont Park's and golf courses' watering days to Monday & Friday, to try to ease pressure on the lines. I noticed about 1/2 of the odd addresses on Saturday night at 2 AM in my neighborhood watering, so people know about it and are taking advantage of the 10 hours we have.

In addition, it appears our drought is going to get worse, not better. According to The Weather Channel, we're going to get temperatures into the mid-90's and hotter, and not much more rain, which will dry everything out faster. Sounds like more quality time for me and the watering can (I don't consider watering can watering to be a violation b/c I get the water from the kitchen sink and therefore it's not "outdoor" watering).

Tomorrow sounds like same old, same old. Since it's been over 30 days for the boxwoods, I can only water the Japanese maples on Tuesdays and Thursdays now (they have until June 21).

Labels: , ,

Google