Hurricanes & Zip Codes

Blogging about anything and everything that's on my mind.

Name:
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, United States

Monday, June 04, 2007

Thanks but no thanks Barry! (and more water restrictions)

Well, Barry came ashore on Saturday as a Tropical Storm near Tampa, Florida. It skirted along the Atlantic coast and is now near Ocean City, Maryland. It brought a lot of welcome rain to south Georgia, and helped to mostly contain the forest fires down there. However Atlanta officially got just a trace of rain, while my yard in NW Atlanta got none at all. The beneficial rain got as close as Locust Grove, Conyers and Snellville. There is no other rain in the forecast now for the next few weeks.

Speaking of watering, I watered from midnight-2AM, 2AM-4AM, 5:30-7:30 AM and 8-10 AM on Sunday morning, getting the majority of the lawn, and it does look better, but probably not for long. With no more rain coming, I sure hope they don't institute a ban on all watering period, which is the next step. It's exhausting, having to wait up until midnight on Saturday night (of course this week I was @ a party), and then getting up at 8 AM to turn the water back on! Also, I noticed walking the dog at 2 AM how many people's sprinklers were on...crazy. I'm still under the exemptions until tomorrow for my new boxwoods, and until June 21 to water the new Japanese maples, which helps some since the runoff goes into the side yard and down into the front yard.

In addition, the cities of Alpharetta, Milton and Johns Creek in north Fulton County just went to our weekend-only midnight to 10 AM system. Roswell can still water their 3 days/week but only from midnight to 7 AM, and the city of Mountain Park as far as I know is still on the statewide 3/day/midnight to 10 AM schedule. Surrounding counties like Cobb, Douglas and Cherokee are still on the statewide restrictions. When will we get some rain?

I got my application for Masters practice round tickets! Got to turn that in.

Labels: , ,

Google